A634.9.4.RB - A Reflection of Our Learning


My blog is to reflect on three lessons I took away from the MSLD 634 Leadership Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility course. With so many generations working together the key elements I gained from this course is understanding there are variables to morality, balance of what is moral depends on the situation, and that my way of thinking can be challenged based on other people’s experiences.

Before taking this course I thought I was a pretty solid moral person with some pretty tough ethical standards, but reading and having discussions with other students in the courses allowed me to look at some situations such as affirmative action, gun control and what it means to do what is right, according to ones on values. I valued the other thoughts that were different than mine as they gave me a different perspective.

LaFollette reinforced my moral thinking in his facts of “knowledge of morally relevant factors, and effects of our actions”. Although he had five facts, these two hit home hardest to me. With our technology and flood of instant information we tend to place judgement or instant persecution without getting all the facts and our actions have consequences. This experience made me realize that I need to be more aware of my thinking process and actions that I take. I do believe in the value that you should treat people how you want to be treated and I already knew that I am bothered personally when I leave someone with a negative experience. I also understand that everyone has different views and it may take extra effort to try to understand some one’s else view or see where they are coming from verses placing immediate judgement. My goal is to be less selfish in my understanding and be more serving.

My favorite discussion was about world hunger because I had my own perspective based on my beliefs but the research forced me to understand that some people truly cannot help themselves due to government control or lack of resources. However, there are some people have just learned to live off the system. The greatest was the discussion with other students and gaining their perspective which opened my own eyes and allowed me to think different.

The class was actually better than what I thought it would be as I thought it would be more focused on ethics in the workplace. The topics were spot on and very relevant to discussion you hear on television or common topics around your household.
  
References:


LaFollette, H. (2007). The Practice of Ethics. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A635.8.3.RB - Transformational Strategies

A635.5.3RB Video Debrief