A635.5.3RB Video Debrief

Being an Apple product junkie where I enjoy my I-phone, I-pad, Mac Book and the Apple watch, it is always interesting to watch videos about Steve Jobs’ success in the electronic industry. I also remember watching the movie about how he was a hot head who could not get along with others. Watching the video Steve Jobs brainstorms with NeXT Team made me wonder if I could fit into this organization. I think Steve is a great innovator but maybe had to learn to be a leader by making mistakes along the way. This blog will reflect on the video and my Management Assessment (MA) results provided by NextStep Research to determine if I have characteristics that align with Jobs way of leading.
MA Results
Reflecting on my MA results and my leadership management styles, I landed as a confident, highly extroverted logistical leader. These type of leaders “exhibit a team-oriented leadership approach and are good at establishing lines of communication and are often a stabilizing influence in organization by creating rules and structure for the organization.”  Taking this assessment twice in the last two years and the results being the same, I have confidence that the results are a real indication of my preferences as a leader. I do have preferences of working for a company long-term, meaning I am committed and loyal. Breaking it down more I am assertive but independent person who prefers diversity and structure. I am driven by internal goals and challenges and middle of the road in taking calculated risks. I enjoy working in teams and being a role model is important to me. I do prefer perfection which means I apply a lot of self-structure and rules. Most importantly I am not driven by products but services that I provide. Listening to debrief was like going to a counseling session because everything was spot on accurate. (NextSteps Research, 2017)
Comparison
            Steve Jobs was a well-known innovator who was driven by producing a product. From the MA results I am driven by service not products and my preference is large companies not small start-ups.  Jobs left to start a new company and employees followed him even though they had very lucrative jobs. He was very passionate about his vision and starting companies is something he seemed to like to do. Jobs is a risk taker, which is where we are very different. I like to take risks but they have to be calculated and if it will cost a large amount of money, I would need to have ample research before I took the journey. I give Jobs credit for being loyal to his passion. He may not be the perfect leader in some people’s eyes, but he never gave up on his drive. Jobs is also a problem solver and problem solving was not my strong result, as I prefer to find them not necessarily fix them. I did find my problem results off balance because my job is constantly helping people solve problems and I seem to enjoy it, but there are times where it gets old. (Петренко, 2012)
Conclusion
Although, I have seen this video a couple times in the past, I think it is a great video. Steve Job made mistakes a leader when it comes to instilling inclusion but he was very good at innovation and creativity. I will probably always be an Apple junkie because they make good products. I still own the original little I-pod and it is a reminder of when the electronic musical device gave me options and I no longer had to own stacks of CD’s and a hand-held Walkman that required batteries for it to work. Job’s left a legacy that we forget and that is creativity and having a vision to always provide products to meet the supply and demand of our consumers. I am not sure I could work for Jobs but I am learning every day that I am more of millennial who thrives off new technology.
References:
Петренко, С. (2012, January 19). Steve Jobs brainstorms with NeXT Team. Retrieved September 10, 2017, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loQhufxiorM
NextSteps Research. (2017). Management Assessment Profile Prepared for Embry-Riddle . NextStep Research. NextStep Research.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A634.9.4.RB - A Reflection of Our Learning

A635.8.3.RB - Transformational Strategies