A635.7.3.RB - INSEAD Reflection
My reflection blog this week is to review
the INSEAD video on Self-Managed Work Teams and
reflect on some of the benefits and drawbacks of self-managed teams. I have
been blessed to work in many types of industries from insurance, estate
planning, writing computer software videos, military and my current career
within aerospace. Not one of the industries were the same, but if you were good at your craft you were automatically in that zone of being self-managed.
There are benefits and drawbacks of self-managed teams and although I prefer to
be on a self-managed team there are a few characteristics you must have to be a good leader. (Teskyj & Smith, 2008)
Benefits of
Self-Managed Team
According to Brown,
self-managed teams must have “members who are skilled and knowledgeable in
their areas” (p 350) I think this is one of the most critical characteristic in
being a part of a self-managed team. My current team where I am the only master
scheduler there is a level of automatic trust that I can build and maintain a quality
product based on my historical performance. Being that I worked for my current
manager for over five years in another role, he knew my abilities and how they
would contribute to the team. I also agree with our text reading that jobs design
require “skill variety, task identity, task significance, autonomy, and job
feedback” in order to be effective. Although my team is comprised of a variety of individuals
who have served in the military, their individual skill sets molded together is
what actually makes us successful. Each person has a heightened amount of self-awareness
and accountability. My team has the standard vertical leadership type of structure
but we do a large amount of cross-functional integration with other teams
meaning we need to have highly skilled and self-motivated employees. (Brown, 2011)
Although our team is
comprised of highly skilled employees that work well together we still have “responsibilities,
goals, operational parameters, and deadlines’ and sometimes it would look like
our manager is too much into our business but we have to have something to aim
for in order to know we doing a good job. I recently had my mid-year with my
manager and I shared a conversation with him that other team members didn’t
know my military back ground and I assumed leadership would have told them prior
to me starting the job. My manager stated that he did not want to taint others
views of me and wanted me to gel with the group on my own efforts. He knew I am
a high performer and would integrate great with the team. I thought his
approach was unique because most often we tell our team about the new hire so
they know the skill level of those joining the team. My leader knew I would be
self-managed and jump right to help, and my feedback is that during everyone’s
mid-year reviews commented on how helpful I was. To me this is clarity that you
can be self-managed and have autonomy with little to no direction by your
leadership team, as long as you have the skill sets to do the job. (Guest, 2017)
Drawbacks of
Self-Managed Teams
If a team is completely self-managed
there could be issues if you have new employees who cannot adapt to the
specific structure because they don’t have enough skill sets or cannot manage
themselves effectively. I have witnessed being a lead and having brand new team
members directly out of college and although they have an education but they
have little to no technical experience within our industry. I had to very
cautious about reports they developed to make sure they were of sound quality and
there was enough work to keep them busy. Because we has been a culture who is
trying to embrace telecommuting as a norm verses a financial offset you definitely
have to have employees who can be self-managed and self-accountable. I think
self-managed teams may struggle for the equal treatment and insubordination. I
know from in the past and as a high performer, I had a problem with a new leader
who joined our team. I knew my job and was confused how this leader could come
in all knowing and change everything. This was also before I took a lot of
leadership courses and books I have read. I have become more open when ideas
are shared and not so resistant. I also
think that self-managed teams have to be cognizant of their goals and
objectives with confidence to ask leadership for direction if they are not producing. (Guest, 2017)
Competencies for External
Manager
In the article “How to Lead a
Self-Managing Team” in the MIT Sloan it stated that “81% of manufacturing organization deploy
empowered, self-directed and autonomous teams” One could ask the question of
why do we need leaders when we have teams that self-manage. Regardless of how the team performs, leaders
are accountable for the overall results of the team. I think the most critical competencies
for external leaders is trust. I also think external leaders must be able to ask
for information from other managers, their peers and highly skilled technical
specialist. There needs to be a form of feedback communication between the
leader and the team they are leading. In the manufacturing culture, my experiences
are you have to have two major competencies such as effective listening and conflict
resolution. Most often our team does not someone to tell us how to do the job
but we need a leader to help guide us when there is conflict or risk. I look at
our external manager as a cheerleader who is there to keep us motivated and
help when we need something. (Wheeler & Druskat, 2004)
Conclusion
In my twenty years in the Air Force
and little over a decade in the manufacturing culture, I have pretty much been
a part of a high performing team that is self-managed. Being that I enjoy being left alone to work, I
do find myself challenged with always being bother to make sure someone has
enough work to do. However, with that being said it is my job to make sure work
is balanced and aligned to the correct employee. With implementing the Culture
of Accountability our work scope is aligned to our annual objectives of first
time quality first, on-time schedule, and meeting our overall financial
objectives. With that in mind we focus on shattering silo’s which is one initiative
that is helping us integrate our functions and applying more accountability to
our self-managed teams. It is definitely a challenge some days to ensure
everything is balanced and I truly think feedback is something we use well in
the company to ensure we are in alignment and everyone is happy. I enjoy working within a self-managed culture because
I am a self-starter who enjoys challenging work. It is a challenge to lead
someone like me but I understand their drive and need to be successful.
References:
Brown,
D. R. (2011). An Experiential Approach to Organizational Development. (Eighth,
Ed.) Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
Guest,
D. (2017). The Advantages of Self-Managed Teams In Your Business. Retrieved
September 22, 2017, from David Guest:
http://davidguest.com.au/buildingbusinesses/team/the-advantages-of-self-managed-teams-in-your-business/
Teskyj,
P., & Smith, R. (2008, September 22). Self-managing teams: debunking the
leadership paradox. Retrieved September 24, 2017, from You Tube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=41&v=GBnR00qgGgM
Wheeler,
J. V., & Druskat, V. (2004, July 15). How to Lead a Self-Managing Team. Retrieved
September 24, 2017, from MIT Sloan Management Review:
http://sloanreview.mit.edu/article/how-to-lead-a-selfmanaging-team/
Comments
Post a Comment